Thursday, September 29, 2005

Thanks to Jeffrey at Straight No Chaser and to Taxi Driver at Xanax Taxi for deigning to recognize my humble efforts. Pretty much the first response I've gotten except from a couple of creepy web spider thingies, and both of these blogs are full of very good stuff.

Here is a summary of my MP3 postings to date. Some are no longer online, but let me know if you want a copy and we'll work it out.
    Previous Posts
  • Marvin Gaye - Star Spangled Banner
  • Jimmy Wilkins Orchestra - Upper Manhattan Medical Group
  • Sarah Vaughan - If You Could See Me Now
  • Joe Farrell - Follow Your Heart
  • Miles Davis - Out of the Blue
  • Sam Jones - Thumbstring
  • Thelonious Monk - Jackie-ing
  • Duke Ellington - Satin Doll
  • Dizzy Gillespie - My Heart Belongs to Daddy
  • Count Basie - My Heart Belongs to Daddy
  • Isley Brothers - Harvest for the World
  • Les McCann - Kathleen's Theme


Here's Henry Mancini's Fallout, which I ripped from a rather chewed copy of the LP "Music from Peter Gunn" (RCA Victor LSP-1956). Encore Recordings didn't have another copy. There was a skip around measure 17 in the introductory flute solo, so I patched in the drums and bass from about measure 5 so I could practice along with it.

The bassist is Roland "Rolly" Bundock, a veteran who performed at Carnegie Hall with Glenn Miller in 1939. He also recorded with Mel Torme and Dave Pell, and with Mancini, on electric bass, as recently as 1973, according to AllMusic.Com . According to a Glenn Miller website he passed away in 1998.

Here is the original bass part, page 1, andpage 2. Here is my page 2 edit of the bass part to show the closing as recorded with walking bass and drums fading out instead of the Molto Ritard and held chord in the written part. Note also that the written part designates a bass solo in letter H, which is more trombone solo in the recording. I have trouble getting the trombonist to butt out during this part when we perform it. I haven't looked at his part yet.

With the chromatic bass line, the changes of key, and the rather brisk misterioso tempo of 170 bpm, this is a classic study for string bassists! Take it to the woodshed!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home