Friday, September 23, 2005

Eddie Harris and Les McCann's "Swiss Movement" is one of the great live jazz albums. The style is very accessible and funky and the mood is very spontaneous. Benny Bailey sat in on trumpet and you can hear what sounds like somebody explaining how the song goes at one point. Les McCann's Kathleen's Theme sounds deceptively simple, to me, after I started trying to write it out. Here is my working leadsheet, pending Tom Loncaric's setting me straight. Suggestions are welcome.

The bassist is Leroy Vinnegar. Leroy was born in Indianapolis in 1928 and died in 1999. ALLMUSIC.COM says he first recorded in 1942 with Paul Whiteman. In the early 50s he played with Chet Baker, Stan Getz and Shelly Manne, in the 60s with Les McCann. He even recorded with the Doors. Leroy Vinnegar was a quintessential West Coast bassist.

Come see the II-V-I Orchestra Sunday, September 25, from 6:30 to 9 at the Creekside Grille, 5 miles west of Ann Arbor at the Zeeb Road I-94 exit. This month we'll be getting out a bunch of Count Basie charts and going at it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey Siegel said...

Great Job - you're on my list of daily sites to check from now on!

Mon Sep 26, 01:01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a listen to Kathleen's theme and very nice. I also hopped over to the AMG and listened to some samples of the other cuts and I was liking the funky. I like Eddie Harris and I guess I'm headin' out the to pick up this one.

I loved looking at the lead sheet because the handwriting reminded me of my most favorite gigs. The same handwriting as nice versions of "Them Changes", "Funky Broadway" and many others.

I hope you will post lots of good tips on great albums here. Then I can again benefit from your fine taste.

Thanks.

Wed Sep 28, 08:12:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home