Monday, January 09, 2006

Come out and see us play jazz this weekend!

The Dean Solden Trio with Surry Scheerer appears Saturday the 14th from 10 to 1:30 at Goodnite Gracie's in Ann Arbor.

We'll do our take on a variety of standards and some of Dean's original tunes, most featuring Surry's vocals. Surry's singing is sure footed in an uptempo jazz trio context, and her tone and range are similar to Ricky Lee Jones but Surry's style is cleaner and more understated.

Dean Solden plays piano and organ and sings a few numbers too, including some of his own. Drummer Rob Hejna stokes the rhythm and I am responsible for the underpinnings of the ensemble on acoustic bass.

There are MP3s of our group and Dean's CD over at the band webpage.

We played Gracie's back at Halloween and it went OK but they had pulled out most of the tables, brought in a DJ between sets, and charged a cover because it was a big party weekend. This time will be the real jazz club setting, with no cover charge and some nice sofas to settle back in if you show up early. Hope to see you there!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Brabenec said...

Dear Scarlet.

Thanks for your kind words and I'll relay your compliments to Surry. Will you post or direct us to some Silje Nergaard (and how do you pronounce that name)?

I had a great experience a year or so ago because my 9 year old son had a soccer teammate from Brazil named Leonardo. Leonardo's dad Enio threw a party for the soccer team families and I saw Enio had a guitar and a bunch of Brazillian songbooks. I asked him if he played and he sat down with his nylon string guitar and started playing Jobim tunes, singing and whistling the melodies. He's great! I ran home and brought my bass back to the party and we had a jam session.

Enio was surprised that I was so familiar with bossa tunes. I told him that among my circle of jazz musicians, Brazillian pop music is considered the most sophisticated pop music in the world.

A pianist friend of mine had been poring over bossa records, transcribing parts, and drilling us in our drummer's basement on the subtleties of playing bossa nova ("It's not in 4, it's in 2!!"), so when I got him together with Enio he was in hog heaven.

So now periodically we have house parties and play Brazillian music, my wife sings the songs in English, and we nod and smile at all the incomprehensible Portugese chatter going on around us.

BTW, thanks tons for the Art Blakey and Miles Davis sides. I've been enjoying playing the Miles through my computer speakers and playing along on bass.

If I can get some photos from the gig this weekend I'll post them. Thanks for your encouragement and I'm sure the Belgian jazz is swinging too.

- Jerry

Tue Jan 10, 12:25:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home