Sunday, December 11, 2005


Gil Evans and Miles Davis are pictured, credited together as composers of the tune "Eleven".

So you know how this works, this Sunday like most every Sunday I drove out to Dave's place in Loch Alpine for our big band rehearsal, and the last tune we did was called 'Adios, au Revior, Auf Weidersehn'. Dave was saying, "there, that's a better set closer than 'Bubbles in the Wine'" and I said, "How about 'Eleven' for a set closer like Jaco did with his big band?" Dave promptly whipped out the parts to Eleven and then we had to try to play that. It's not easy, so to help out other bassists here is the bass part, here is Jaco's big band performing Eleven, and here is Gil Evans' big band performing Eleven.


The Jaco recording is from a Japanese import LP I got from my little brother and though I ripped it about 2 days ago I can't find it now. It seems to be the same live recording as is found on Warner Bros. WPCP-4932, Jaco Pastorius - Invitation. The Gil Evans recording is from Koch Jazz 8518, Gil Evans - Svengali. I was listening to the Gil Evans stuff back in high school because I was a tuba player and I read in Downbeat magazine that the Gil Evans record had a tuba solo on it by Howard Johnson.

This whole garbled posting started out to be about Jaco, mainly just to point out the great postings that Taxi Driver has put up on Xanax Taxi, a moving and informative posting about Jaco and substance abuse on shrimplate, and especially see JACOP.NET, a family website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home