Thursday, January 25, 2007

I'd have to say my two passions are playing jazz and distance running. My brother and I have been comparing notes on Google Gmaps Pedometer, a web based route mapping and measuring utility that incorporates detailed streetmaps, USGS topographic data, and satellite imagery.

Paul is using it to map hiking routes near Steamboat Springs, Colorado. I'm using it for running routes in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This route is my standard training run, which they say is 7.047 miles. The route goes through city park land in the Huron River valley, and the satellite imagery revealed many of the foot trails I follow. The map also gives a linear graph of elevation change, which looks pretty accurate except at one point out in the middle of the woods it seems to show me falling into and climbing out of a 110 foot vertical pit.



If that had happened I'd remember.

Nob Hill/Pioneer High CC/Eberwhite Woods route

Nichols Arboretum Hill

The API for this utility is apparently publicly available because the Houston Area Road Runners Association has hosted a version of it since August of 2005. Kudos to the HARRA and to Google!

p.s. I'm probably going to map more routes for my own reference but posting a route from your doorstep might not be a good idea. I thought of placing the start and stop points at a nearby intersection, but since I live in a cul-de-sac the map would still provide a big clue about where I live. Just something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home