Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dave Swain runs the II-V-I Orchestra, the big band I play bass with, and I was telling him the other day, "You know, there's 2 kinds of horn players in the world, horn players that are good enough to play in rock bands and horn players that are only good enough to play in big bands, and you know it's true because every time we get a big band arrangement of a rock tune that's in the key of 'E' they always transpose it to the key of 'F' even though there were horn players on the record playing it in 'E'. They were ROCK horn players!!"

And of course transposing to 'F' completely hoses up the bass part. For example, here is the Tower of Power's "What Is Hip?" . It's in 'E'. Here are PDFs of our big band arrangement page 1, page 2, page 3 . This is a fairly accurate representation of the bass line, but it sure is awkward to play in F. As near as I can estimate performance tempo is about 108 beats per minute.

We've got a couple of Steely Dan tunes and it's the same thing. "Josie" in F instead of E. Yuck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and then there are the horn players that are good enough to play in Eb because the guitar players are Stevie Ray Vaughn fans and have it tuned down a 1/2 step so they can put on heavier strings and still bend them. That can't be completely true, because I'm not that good and I handled it. I said, "Thanks, now I get to learn to play blues in the other 6 keys". I am in town for the holidays. Almost came by the Woodside last night but recovering from a cold. See ya, Jerry. -Mitch

Mon Dec 31, 07:32:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home